Friday, August 5, 2011

Twin Canopies

For some reason, I have always loved a pair of twin beds in a guest room or kids room.  Maybe it has to do with my general love of symmetry and pairs of things: chairs, lamps, sconces, art.  (More on that next week.)  Maybe it has to do with my grade school friend Ania Burhardt's amazing blue and white room in her mother's Lake of the Isles house which had--you got it--matching twin beds.  I was nine the first time I slept over.  A very influential age.

At any rate, when I rearranged the girls' room to accommodate the vents, I feel like I gained some things (the ability to close the curtains, a bedside table for the girls, etc), and lost some things.  I mentioned here that I would have done some things differently had I planned the new layout from the get go, and today I'm sharing my biggest lament.

If I had started with the girls' beds floating in the room, I would have considered canopies.  Of course, I could still do this, but it would mean a different scale headboard.  It would mean taking down the cornice and drapes and replacing them with a tailored shade.  It would mean time and money that I don't have to spend.

So I'll just live vicariously through the designers who have done this well.  I was inspired by this amazing little room in a recent Architectural Digest, and it prompted me to pull images of other rooms with simple, flat coverlets (duvets may be a thing of the past), and smaller-scale canopies.  I love, love, love this look.


Architectural Digest



Melissa Rufty in House Beautiful


shopgramercy.blogspot.com via pinterest


Tom Scheerer spotted on Nest Egg via pinterest


Architectural Digest

What do you think of this look?  Do you have a favorite?

3 comments:

  1. I also love the twin beds look and lament that I can't do it in my own house (to the point that I once even considered getting twins in the master - a la Ricky and Lucy). My son's room is large enough to have two twin beds, but it makes more sense to have bunk beds. And, obviously, forget about the canopies. One day, though, I'm going to have a guest bedroom that looks like the first or third pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the kind of housekeeper I am: I look at all that fabric and think, GOD NO I don't want to vacuum that all on a regular basis!
    But it is dang cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before my reno I had a small quest room where I had two empire twin beds. I had coverlets made with matching canopies. It was cute...but usually the guests were not so happy with the twin beds...so they were expelled in the renovation yard sale! I kinda miss them!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...