Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sew your saying

I'm loving the textile take on all the "word art" that's out there these days.

I remember first noticing these felt-applique pillows from this etsy shop when they were featured in House Beautiful a while back.

Ooh la la 22x22inch pillow recycled felt applique pillow - oatmeal and red

I was liking the idea of creating something similar but more in my colors (or commissioning the seller to do it).

And have you seen Muriel Brandolini's custom words wallpaper?  She created the lyrics to a family's favorite Rolling Stones song and applied it to the walls in all sorts of crazy textures.




Well, I just recently spotted these one-of-a-kind embroidered textiles, many of which use popular song lyrics, from Australian shop Castle and Things.

ISN'T SHE LOVELY

Some play around with composition and negative space in quite a fetching way.

I LOVED YOU THEN AS I LOVE YOU STILL

This one makes me hear John Denver in my mind.  (NOT a bad thing, I promise you.)

LET ME ALWAYS BE WITH YOU

There are also non-word compositions that still create a little story.  this one is called Dream a Little Dream.

DREAM A LITTLE DREAM

These are pricey (in the hundreds of dollars), but they use great materials and could be a wonderful gift (even to yourself).

I like the idea of creating your own felt applique of a meaningful lyric, poem line, or saying, and making a throw pillow or framing and hanging it.

So personal.

1 comment:

  1. Recreating these felt pieces would be very fun and easy...am I sensing a DIY in your future, Heather?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...