Monday, February 20, 2012

Tag, you're it!

There's a little game going around blogland right now.  

Project: about me.  

A way for bloggers to interview other bloggers, crossed with a chain letter.  Fun, right?  I was tagged by Inspire me Heather, who tagged eleven bloggers named Heather.  Clever!


RULES
1. You must post the rules!
2. Answer the 11 questions the tagger posted for you , and then create 
11 new questions to ask the people you’ve tagged.
3. Tag 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Let them know you’ve tagged them.

Why did you start your blog?
Long before I had this design blog, I had a mom blog.  We lived in New York at the time, far from most of our family and old friends, and the blog was a way to gather photos and baby updates in one place.  When we moved into our current house in Minneapolis, I was posting a ton of decorating content instead of kid updates, and when I mentioned the idea of a design blog, one reader said "but isn't your blog already a design blog?"  It was obviously time to separate the content.  I wrote down my ideas, and seeing I had enough content for my first month's worth of daily posts, I made the plunge.


What has been your most popular post?
My Reader Design Dilemmas have been the most popular, with What do Do with a Brick Planter (that you don't want to remove) topping out the numbers for page views.  Funny--lots of people must have these in their homes?  


You can see the whole series here. (Send me your dilemmas!  I love tackling them).


What would be the best piece of advice on blogging you could give?
Manage expectations.  Do your best to keep to a schedule, but give yourself a break, too, just communicate it in advance.  If you begin to resent your blog, your readers will feel it and stop reading.


What was the best piece of advice on blogging you have received?
Do you blog in the morning, in the afternoon, or at night?
The best writing advice I've been given also applies to blogs: write what you know (and love.)

I usually write posts at night and schedule them for the following morning.  But I try to plan out about a week in advance to be sure each week has a good balance of inspiration, DIY, specific ideas, and shared resources.  This feels a bit like lifting the curtain: I've had so many readers tell me they're impressed that I'm already done blogging at breakfast!


What is your favorite blog to read?
Little Green Notebook is really the blog that brought me into this whole world of design bloggers, and it is still one of my first stops each day.  I love the mix of personal projects, genius DIY, great resources, and a bit of Jenny herself.  It's a mix I strive for (though I'm no Jenny Komenda where DIY is concerned!)  I also love Sherry Hart's Design Indulgence for her ever-amusing take on the world of design.


If your blog design could look like someone elses, who's would it look like?
I wouldn't want my blog design to look like someones else's--I want it to look like me!  That said, I find that I really love a clean and simple design with room for really big pictures.  Sketch42 Blog, Door 16, Manhattan Nest, The Brick House, Bright Bazaar, Small Shop Studio, Mimi + Meg....these guys all do this really really well, and it allows their content to shine.  I'm not really a minimalist, though, and in the details, the blog I find myself most tempted to copy is Design*sponge.  Those velvet ribbons?  Perfection. 


How would you describe your decor style?
Global eclectic on a traditional backbone.  Check out my About Me page on my website  for the list of design elements that make my heart go pitter pat. Or my pinterest page--the Dream Home board has some favorites.  (And go ahead and follow me while you'e there!)


What decor trend are you just not liking and why?
Generally speaking, I see a lot of spaces these days that all look the same.  Let your personality shine, people!

To choose one specific trend that I just don't get?  How about The Union Jack in decor.  Unless you are British or of British Heritage, or using it in a themed space, it makes no sense to me.  It's a symbol divorced from meaning.


What is your next DIY project?
Stripes in my girls' bathroom.  I painted test swatches ages ago, but painting in the winter in Minnesota is tricky--you don't really want the windows open--so it may wait until spring!  Here are the sample boards taped up for perusal.  And my post about stripe styles.



What was your favorite DIY project?
It's hard to choose!  I generally DIY because I want a certain look but can't really afford it.  In general, I want my projects to look like I did not do it myself at all.  I'm proud of spaces like my guest room, where I did all the work but (I hope) you would never guess.  Curtains, paint, headboard, pink pillows, and wall sconces, all by me.


Whew.  That was a lot of information about myself.

Now it's my turn.  

I'm tagging eleven of my regular reads.  These are all ladies whose daily musings I follow, and now I get to learn a bit more about them.


And here are my 11 questions (A twist on many classics):

1.  Do you blog for business or pleasure?  Tell us more.

2. What's your favorite post (on your own blog), and why?

3.  You're stranded on a desert island.  What five items washed ashore with you to decorate your newfound home?

4.  If your blog had a soundtrack, what would it be?

5.  If you could have dinner with any designer or blogger (living or dead), who would it be?

6.  What is the first major design decision you made?  (Mine: orange walls, age 5.  Thanks mom!)

7.  What is the craziest color you ever painted anything?

8.   Do you remember paint color (or nail polish, lipstick, etc.) names?  Share one off the top of your head, and what kind of color it was.  Or let us guess.

9. What is your biggest design or DIY fail?

10.  What is the coolest opportunity that has come your way because of your blog?

11.  If you were invited to write a decorating book, what would it include and/or what would the title be?

Okay, hope this is fun ladies.
Let's all check out these lovely blogs!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Heather, this is so fun! Thanks for tagging me in your list; I'm so honored. I will definitely get on this. I'm already stressed about coming up with 11 questions though. And I couldn't agree more about the whole Union Jack thing - just don't get it. I mean, it's a beautiful graphic image but if it doesn't relate to your background/heritage, I find it a bit out of place. But I guess people might say the same thing about all my Chinoiserie - I'm definitely not of Asian descent. Oh well. Thanks again - I'll get to work on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to learn more about you Heather. I love these games. Funny, I had never thought about how irrelevant the Union Jack trend is for those without a British background but now that you say it like that I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, thanks so much for thinking of me. I'll definitely get cracking on this. I had no idea you first had a Mommy blog...it's been very fun to see how your creative mind works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet of you to think of me! Little Green Notebook is my favorite read, too. I have no idea how all the creativity fits into one little Jenny!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...