Friday, October 21, 2011

French Provincial (ish) kitchen, three ways

Over the past couple of months, I've been working with a client in New Jersey to help pull together textiles and other details for her gorgeous, formal home, which she has bee steadily renovating.  Her kitchen renovation is beyond beautiful, and while I can't share images of the space for now, I can tell you it has carrara marble slab countertops and backsplash, custom cabinetry in a pale yellow glaze with just the rigth amount of molding and flourish, and one of these.

Citeaux

In basically that color.  Except it has more brass fittings.  Could you die?

The kitchen also has a small breakfast nook with large windows.  My client needed a small table, four chairs, a pair of counter height barstools, pendant lighting over the island, and lots of soft fold roman shades.  We wanted a slightly french vibe and traditional but not too formal. Ready for some choices?

While I did present options for fabric, I'm just going to share the winners.

This for upholstery:



(here's a detail, such a pretty linen, and just the right smidge of blue)



This fabric for soft fold roman blinds



(slightly lighter in real life)

With some beautiful braid trim in blue and mushroom, seen in the boards below.

So.  Furniture.

Options 1: Feminine. 
Love the curvy legs on the chairs, the rush seat and turned leg on the barstools, and the combo of a chandelier over the island with a sweet leafy cage fixture over the pedestal dining table.

Heide Kitchen Option 3


Option 2: Masculine.
Okay, not exactly MANLY, but it feels a bit more tavernlike to me, with the iron light fixtures, squared off chairs, and parquet-top table.

Heide Kitchen Option 4


Option 3: Classic modern.
Love the simple form of the pendants over the island, and of course we know I love lantern fixtures.  That little pedestal gets a glass top for the table, and the cross-back chairs are classic bistro. (I found a ton of great sources--I'll round 'em up next week.  My client says go for it).

Heide Kitchen Option 2
What do you think: have a favorite?

I have to say, I'm having SO much fun working on this project, especially since the style is so different from my own house.  My family always jokes about me wanting it both ways, and if I had another life, I would totally do a gorgeous, formal, traditional house like this one.  I'm so jealous of the damask-printed grasscloth wallpaper in the living room, just to name one thing.

Have a great weekend, and don't forget to come back Monday to check out the fabulous jewelry I'll be giving away!

2 comments:

  1. Heather- I love the masculine board! The blue chairs really seal the deal for me. It's great to see how a few small changes create such a big difference in a space.

    Live Inspired,
    Heidi
    Athousandlaughingstarfish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooker looks really beautiful in blue! I like classic and modern kitchens the most. A survey reveled that today most of the houses prefer French provincial kitchens instead of modern kitchens.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...