Friday, September 2, 2011

Put Some Trim On It

Not too long ago, I was hanging out at my brother and sister-in-law's house, and looking around, I felt very settled: everything in their space just feels finished.  This is, I think, partly because they have been int he house for about 10 years and partly because they run Union Place, a home theater and design shop in Excelsior, Minnesota.  While their taste is much more traditional than mine, their facility with layers and details can apply to any decor.  The fringe on my niece Lucia's curtains was one of the inspirations for the tasseled trim in my girl's room.

My favorite fabric store (well, discount fabric warehouse, really), happens to have a sale right now--all decorator trims are 50% off of the already insanely good prices.  (Get the coupons on their website, print 'em out and put 'em to good use.)  I'm trimming the life out of the curtains around here.

I love this tape trim for the dining room.


It has the chartreuse, picks up the raspberry from around the house and that hit of black will give some drama.  This is going on the leading edge and then--who knows--maybe I 'll add it to the outside as well.



This raspberry trim is very close in color to the guest room curtains--I love the way it almost reads as lace.  I'm thinking leading edge plus bottom hem, to sweep the floor.

Then there are these, possibilities for client projects.  A couple of fun things in the works.


And how about that orange and green leopard print?  It's fully reversible so you can choose which is the pattern and which is the ground, and it was a remnant, just $6/yard and the piece is 2 1/2 yards.  I'm thinking headboard.  I just don't know for who.  Yet!

So I guess I'll be doing a little sewing this holiday weekend.  What about you: what do you have planned?

1 comment:

  1. Heather, I couldn't agree more! Adding trim makes off-the-rack items like curtains feel custom. I'm actually going to be customizing my PB curtains this weekend, so it looks like we'll both be sewing!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...