Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Zebra Ottoman Two Ways

I thought this was going to be a challenge, partly because I'm not much of a zebra girl, but it turned out to be sooooo much fun.  Part of the point of this (new) series is to show very different ways of working with an element that tends to pop up a lot, and here I do think I pulled off two looks even though I chose to stick with the same color scheme.  Maybe not as divergent as the minimalist and maximalist rooms I built around quilts, but different nonetheless.

First up: Trad.

Zebra Ottoman trad

I'm liking the way the green chairs and the paintings pop, along with the zebra, against a neutral ground, and all the curves, in the turned ottoman legs, the gold side table pedestals, the english rolled-arm sofa (did you know Pottery Barn makes one?), the double gourd lamps, and that crazy chandelier.  The sisal rug and the wood of the bar cabinet are a needed natural element.

And then: Well, Trad. How about trad rad?

This one's definitely more to the modern end of the spectrum with all the clean lines and streamlined shapes, not to mention the matte black side tables and the jungle photography art and the amazing lucite base on the ottoman.

zebra ottoman modern

It's no surprise that I'm drawn to this cream, brown, green,gold (and orange) color scheme, considering my recent focus on my living room, which has this palette, and I have to say, the nude lamps in the first scenario and the cream chairs in the second are totally getting me right now (both from Mitchell Gold, by the way.)  I sort of feel like I would like to live in the second one now, and maybe move into the first one in my 40s.  You know?

As a side note, I would probably not actually do solid brown curtains in these rooms.  While I think they work just fine, it's sort of a missed opportunity.  In the second room I might use Alan Campbell's petite zigzag from Quadrille.


In the first, if the windows were by the chairs, I think I'd do a cream linen with a leading edge trimmed out in something with lavender.  Just saying.  It's tough to do "custom" curtains on olioboard.

What do you think?  Do you have a favorite?  Is there something you'd like to see "two ways"?  Just let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather! Both options are great, but I would choose the first one. Even though it's mostly traditional, the artwork and color selection make it feel fresh and current. I definitely would swap out the curtains for the Quadrille!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...