Friday, June 24, 2011

Size matters

Yesterday I mentioned my desire to cover a wall or two with a large-scale hand-made wall treatment, and did a little round up of the first of two trends I'm finding myself drawn to: the large-scale graphic pattern with hand-painted appeal.

The second trend can be summed up in just one word: overscale.

I've been seeing a number of interpretations of this huge Moroccan pattern around blog-town.

 [here]


And I like this more delicate version, from hgtv


Which kind of makes me think of this beautiful trompe l'oeil mural of picture molding, which is not the same but feels related, somehow.


While we're talking delicate, I recently re-found this image, an old favorite from House Beautiful, and I'm loving the giant graphic, but especially the movement in it.

[House Beautiful]

Of course, scale has been used lots lately to punch up the power of stripes, and, unsurprisingly, I'm liking giant painted chevron and herringbone, a la the painted floor by Mary McDonald on this week's Million Dollar Decorators (which I don't watch, lacking Bravo, but recaps of which I find highly entertaining here, here, and here.)



The mix of colors here, and particularly the color gradient of pinks and reds, feel far more interesting than the two color zig zags that are everywhere just now.  Another way to set it apart?


Herringbone.  I love how the added borders here make this feel so sophisticated.

Hmmm....I felt really energized writing yesterday's post, and I'm kind of boring myself now.  As lovely as these options are, it must be more proof that the all-over graphic from yesterday is the way to go.  Unless....


Hmmm.....

Now I have a dilemma on my hands.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I think it all depends on the pattern or graphic. I tend to not go as bold, so an all over pattern might be a little much for me...and I really love the trompe l'oeil mural of picture molding. I have some clipping of that idea in different rooms that I'll get around to posting one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting a stuffed peacock just like the one in the last picture. But they are crazy expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reminded of the Isabel collection by Serena and Lily. http://www.serenaandlily.com/Rooms/Girls-Isabel
    This is was my inspiration for painting Vivian's room yellow, but the color is as far as I've come. Your post makes me want to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...