Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sophisticated Lodge Living

We took a little family trip last week, to visit the Badlands and the Black Hills of South Dakota, a place whose magic I first encountered at the tender age of 11, on a school trip.  It is this kind of place:  for much of the time, I had the lyrics in my head that say "Oh give me a home where the Buffalo roam and the sky is not cloudy all day."

Gorgeous blue skies.  Literal roaming buffalo.  (Or bison, as our 3 year old companion informed me).  Incredible rock formations.  Still and silent lakes.  I generally don't share much in the way of family photos, but, I mean, come on:







In the Black Hills, we stayed in a cabin in Sylvan Lake in Custer National Park (last  two, above), perhaps one of the lovelier places I have been.  In a way, I appreciated the thought that went in to the decor, with ropes lining the open beams in the living room ceiling, sofas upholstered in western-look blankets, and distressed faux-leather bedskirts in the bedrooms.




But I would love to see my lake decor just a bit more sophisticated.

I was thinking something more like this.


I like how the shapes of the lighting and occasional chair sort of reference the use of antlers in design without actually going there.  The West Elm rug is a take on Navajo blankets, in totally current colors.  And I love a pair of gorgeous Native American portraits, so much better than some cheesy Western landscapes but still referencing the place in a meaningful way.

So.  Am I the only one mentally redecorating the lodgings when I travel?

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a cool trip!! Are you willing to share your chair sources??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth!
      Since this is not a client board, all sources are fair game!

      The leather chairs are from Wayfair, the Anthology Astor Leather chair. The carved wood chair is from the LA company Noir.

      Heather

      Delete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...