Monday, July 30, 2012

Taking the plunge

When we bought this house two years ago, the very first thing I knew I wanted to do was to paint the fireplace wall black.  The fireplace is a gas insert that was placed strangely in the wall, with no surround of an kind.  Painting the wall black will make the fireplace disappear but also create a focal wall.



Then we moved in and I chickened out.  Or, rather, became completely indecisive.  I know I would tell a client to do it, though I acknowledge that it is a risk.  For me, the question is not one of color: though dramatic, black will make sense.  The question is one of texture: paint is so flat, and while that look works for the architecture of the house, it is less in synch with my layered style, and black grasscloth is currently out of the budget.

So I pinned a million pins.  There are a lot of black accent walls on pinterest.  Here are some of the ones most convincing to me.



Source: flickr.com via Heather on Pinterest




I will tell you this much: I bought a quart of black paint, a dragging brush, and some metallic glaze. I am thinking about painting the wall flat black then experimenting OFF the wall with different paint techniques for adding texture.

We'll see how this goes...!

Oh, P.S. I'll have a little giveaway tomorrow.


3 comments:

  1. I think you should do it! Never would have thought if it myself but I love all of the images you posted. Everything looks so dramatic against the black backdrop, too!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. my immediate thought was to use chalkboard paint, but not treat it as a chalkboard (unless you want to). has that nice matte quality...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love painting the wall black! Maybe you could roam Home Depot and see if they have anything else you could add? Posssibly some quarter rounds strips in an intersting pattern. (I see some sort of architectual detail on the wall.) You have a great idea. Love the Pinteret inspiration pictures. Can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...