Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A knock off of un-knock-off-able chandeliers

OVer the past several years, Lynsey Adelman has become something of a design darling, creating iconic chandeliers with hand-blow glass globes and gorgeous, organic, gravity-defying shapes.  Her work has spawned many a DIY project (like this and this; she even offers a make your own kit), but they just don't stand up to the real thing.










I wouldn't have thought that anyone could knock these off, but France & Son has done it!




Pretty authentic-looking, and all around $1000.  Not cheap, no, but the real thing is upwards of $10K.

Here's the question:  with something so identifiable, would you ever be happy with a knock off?  I myself have authentic Ghost chairs and vintage eames fiberglass shell chairs, knock-offs for both of which are now readily available, so perhaps I am something of a purist?  At the same time, I have a giant Noguchi-style lantern in the dining room, which I will readily admit is from PB Teen. 

If you are into modern design but not so into the price tag, and you are down with the whole knock-off thing, France & Son has many, many items you might like to see.

2 comments:

  1. Heather,
    The one from Ebay worries me a little bit because it is coming all the way from China and I am afraid the glass would break but at that price it may be worth the risk...I just love it so!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant!
    Large Contemporary Chandeliers

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...