Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Ikea blunder

I was at Ikea yesterday, and asked one of the co-workers if the catalogs were out -- I had seen a PDF of the cover and wanted the featured chair for a client's living room.  The catalogs were not in the store yet (I got mine in the mail later yesterday--and promptly lost it), but the co-worker said. "ohhhh.....I don't think we're going to be carrying that chair."



Sure enough, it is a vintage Ikea chair "renewed" with some current pillows.

The co-worker, who shall remain nameless (mostly because I don't know his name), said "I really don't know why they did that.  I have a feeling it's going to cause some problems."  Feeling like I was the first of those problems, I said, "yeah, good luck with that," and away I went.

It is interesting to me that Ikea is in some way trying to own this notion of "refreshing," going so far as to showcase their own ikea hacks, such as the new pine dresser, "a fine, pine canvas," which reminds me of this beautiful project.




The catalog also shows an upholstered dresser using Ikea fabric.  Cute, right?


i2.jpg

But to me, the interesting thing about Ikea hacks is the creativity of the people creating them.  Give us the canvas, let us paint, you know?  (Check out tons of ikea hacks here.)

And back to that cover:  we count on Ikea for inexpensive, short term, good looking refreshers.  Showing us those on a chair we CAN'T have?  Well, that's just a tease.

What do you think?

P.S.  To enter the giveawy for a $50 gift card at Shabby Apple, check out instructions and leave your comments on yesterday's post.  Giveaway is going on until Tuesday 8/7 at midnight.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard they are going to be reintroducing that chair (or something very similar) sometime soon. Here is to hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, not the brightest move by IKEA putting a vintage chair front and center. Duh. I'm hoping to the Atlanta IKEA this weekend - still bummed Nashville doesn't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping to hit the Atlanta IKEA. I should really proofread my comments better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't received my new catalog yet, but that seems like a fairly big f-up. The chair is ALL you notice about the cover - they're going to be dealing with the "where can I find that?" question all year. Plus, no matter what the concept, why would you waste an entire catalog cover on a $9.99 pillow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Europe the chair is reintroduced and available now for 200 dollars and with a footstool that's about 80 bucks!
    It's available in grey and dark blue! It's called the STRANDMON.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...