Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Finishing touches

It's all in the details, right?
We hear that all the time.  And yet, so often we spend all of our energy, time, and budget getting the big pieces in place in our homes, the little finishing touches can fall by the wayside.

Honestly, I've always been kind of a big picture gal, AND I have always loved flourishes.  You know: sequins, glittery thread, pretty buttons, tufting.  As I've gotten more and more invested in layering on the details in this house, I realize that in the past I've brought in the big-picture pieces with a lot of detail built in.  An embroidered and mirrored bedspread.  Chairs with carved legs or caned sides.  Damask curtains or octagonal tiles.  Now I'm loving the finishing effect of the perfect trim on those damask curtains.  Contrast piping on the cane chair. These details make pieces unique to us and create a level of personality in our homes.

Now, when I pore over images of interiors I love, I'm looking at those finishing touches as much as the overall effect, and I'm starting a new little series to celebrate the unique details, and hopefully inspire you to think of ways you might incorporate details in your own home.

Ready?


I've been toting this image around for a long time.  I'm not even sure where it comes from, but I am a sucker for window seats of any kind, and I love this casual daybed, like an upholstered mattress up on legs.

First, check out the nailhead trim.  Do you see the pattern?  There's a large nail every third or fourth in the row.  Such a nice sense of movement.  Such a great contrast to the absence of detail in the mattress construction (no welt, hardly a visible seam.)

Second, see those yellow pillow squares?  See the extra large welting on the side?  Well, check out the knot it makes at the corner.  Love this.

Third, it's hard to see, but if you look at the edge of the curtain, between that awesome lamp and the daybed, you can see a wide panel of sheer banding on the curtains, with an embroidered fern pattern.  Beautiful.

Finally, what about that row of chunky buttons on the middle cream colored pillow??

I could go on.

I love to talk about this stuff, but let me know if it is boring to you.  I've got a couple of images queued up for the series, and we'll see how you like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...